The University and campus partners are working hard to implement recommended public health measures within the UMR community.
Student behavior continues to be one of the most important keys to UMR’s success in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic in a manner that limits transmission on campus. In that spirit, we are asking students to:
- Get vaccinated
- Schedule a vaccine appointment with Olmsted Medical Center by calling 507.292.7300. Appointments will take place at the Rochester Northwest Clinic.
- Let your provider know you’d like to be vaccinated.
- Check with local pharmacies.
- Sign up on the MN vaccine connector.
- Wear a mask if you are unvaccinated.
- Practice good personal hygiene, including hand washing throughout the day.
Mask Guidelines by Location:
- USquare 3rd and 4th floor - students, staff, faculty and visitors must wear a mask if they are unvaccinated.
- 318 Commons: students, staff, faculty and visitors must wear a mask if they are unvaccinated.
- One Discovery Square - UMR Spaces: students, staff, faculty and visitors must wear a mask if they are unvaccinated.
Unvaccinated individuals are are required to use a face covering at all times with the following exceptions:
- When eating or drinking; however, physical distancing must be practiced.
- In your assigned on-campus apartment or residence hall room.
- When you are alone in a room or where a posted and official University notice indicates face coverings are not needed.
- When you are alone in a motor vehicle.
- If you are unable to wear a face covering while exercising at the Rochester Family Y.
- If you require face covering accommodations for health or disability reasons, UMR’s Disability Resource Center can assist.
- If you develop COVID-19 symptoms or are concerned that you may have been exposed, complete a COVID Care form and call the OMC triage line at 507-292-7266 (or call your personal health care provider). The COVID Care Team is ready to support you as soon as you complete the form
Safety and Cleaning Practices
Enhanced cleaning and sanitizing practices throughout all University facilities have been implemented as recommended by public health guidelines such as:
- Hand sanitizer dispensers located in multiple locations throughout campus.
- Cleaning supplies available for individual use when desired.
- High touch surfaces cleaned twice daily.
- Additional custodial staff to perform routine cleaning throughout the day.
- Increased measures to provide fresh air and air filtration.
Testing: Students are expected to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and Protect The Nest. If a student develops COVID symptoms or has exposure concerns they must complete a COVID Care form and call the OMC triage line at 507-292-7266 or their personal health care provider.
The COVID Care team will guide a COVID positive student through the COVID Care process, coordinate necessary support, and enact related campus measures as needed. The team is comprised of UMR’s Director of Health and Well-Being, Safety Officer, Disability Resource Coordinator, and Vice Chancellor for Student Success, Engagement & Equity. The COVID Care Team will work in concert with the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) or Olmsted County Public Health Department.
Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms.
Isolation is used to separate people infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, from people who are not infected.