Bioinformatics and Computational Biology
World-Class Resources, World-Changing Programs
Computation is the vanguard of today’s life sciences (biomedical, food and agricultural) research. UMR’s Bioinformatics and Computational Biology (BICB) program is at the vanguard of life sciences computation. We combine the strengths and skills of eight internationally renowned partners - University of Minnesota Rochester, University of Minnesota Twin Cities, Mayo Clinic, IBM, The Hormel Institute, Cray, Inc., National Marrow Donor Program (NMDP), and the Brain Sciences Center - to create a one-of-a-kind opportunity for research and graduate education at the intersection of quantitative sciences, biology, medicine, food and agriculture.
- April 1, 2019 - New BICB initiative to provide research training to underrepresented undergraduate or post-bac students who are interested in pursuing advanced degree(s) in the BICB program. Awardees will be selected based on personal statement, diversity statement, and academic record. The deadline for application is April 12, 2019. For more information, click here. To apply click here.
- February 11, 2019 - BICB PhD student, Nishitha Paidimukkala (Adviser: Rebecca Morris), was the highlight on a recent SciTechsperience article entitled "The Joy of Data: An Internship with StemoniX". It is a reflection on her industrial internship experience with a small startup company specializes in stem cell solution for drug development and discovery.
- February 9 - Congratulation to Christopher Dean (Adviser: Noelle Noyes). He has been selected for the highly competitive IBM summer internship program. He will be working with some of IBM's newest bioinformatics databases and pipelines at the IBM's Almaden Research Laboratory in San Jose, California, this summer.
- February 1- Congratulation to Tatiana Lenskaia (Adviser: Daniel Boley). She has been awarded the Interdisciplinary Doctoral Fellowship for the 2019-20 academic year by the graduate school.
- January 22, 2019 - BICB PhD student, Richard Abdill, and faculty, Ran Blekman, were highlighted in recent Nature News entitled "What bioRxiv’s first 30,000 preprints reveal about biologists".
- January 15, 2019 - The 11th Annual BICB Research Symposium was held at the University of Minnesota Rochester
- January 7, 2019 - Mayo News Network has highlighted a new study, authored by our BICB PhD student Zachi Attia. The study, "Screening for cardiac contractile dysfunction using an artificial intelligence–enabled electrocardiogram" was published in the scientific journal Nature Medicine.
- November 1, 2018 - The University of Minnesota Research News highlighted a new study, authored by our BICB PhD student Pajau Vangay and BICB faculty Dan Knights. The study, "US Immigration Westernizes the Human Gut Microbiome" was recently published in the scientific journal Cell.
- August 28 and August 29, 2018- Annual BICB orientations were held in both the Twin Cities and Rochester campuses this week to welcome our new graduate students and faculty.
- August 23, 2018 - Congratulations to BICB doctoral student, Erik Gaasedelen, for been selected as one of the top 25 candidates in the Lyft and Udacity Partner for Self-Driving Hiring Challenge.
- August 17, 2018 - BICB Rochester students visit the Twin Cities Campus for the 5th Annual BICB Industry Symposium.
- August 6, 2018 - BICB PhD student, Michelle Cox, and faculty, Krishna Kalari, were highlighted in the recently held Computational Genomics Course at Mayo Clinic.
- September 30, 2016 - Two BICB PhD students, Gabriel Al-Ghalith and Pajau Vangay, received MnDRIVE UMII Graduate Fellowships.