Suggested PSEO Coursework

Postsecondary Enrollment Options (PSEO) is a program that allows 10th-, 11th- and 12th-grade students to earn college credit while still in high school, through enrollment in and successful completion of college-level courses. 

Below are suggested PSEO courses that students who attend colleges other than UMR for PSEO credit could take that will generally transfer to UMR:

PSY1001 Introduction to Psychology (4 cr)

MATH 1031 College Algebra and Probability (3 cr)

MATH1051 Pre-Calculus I (3 cr)

MATH 1271 Calculus I (4 cr)

MATH 1272 Calculus II (4 cr)

STAT3011 Introduction to Statistical Analysis (3 cr)

SOC 1101 Introduction to Sociology (3 cr) Diversity and Social Justice

Make sure it carries a Diversity and Social Justice theme

Make sure it transfers to fulfill Historical Perspectives (HIST)

ENGL1001W or ENGL 1201W or make sure it transfers to fulfill Literature (LIT)

WRIT 1301 University Writing (4 cr) or FRESHCOMP

Composition courses are good to take as UMR uses a writing enriched curriculum (there is extensive writing woven into the integrated curriculum at UMR.) Even after completion of composition, please be aware you will still need to take two (1 credit) Writing Studio courses at UMR (WRIT 1511 and WRIT1512) and an upper division WRIT3511 Communication Methods course.

SPAN 1001 Beginning Spanish (5 cr) SPAN 1002 Beginning Spanish (5 cr)

If courses do not transfer as equivalent, you will need to take a proficiency exam at UMR to determine whether or not any of the three Spanish language required courses (SPAN 1521, SPAN1522, or SPAN 2521) can be waived.

PHAR1002 Health Sciences Terminology (2 cr)

It should be a 2 credit course

No course transfers to UMN.

This course does not transfer to UMR, but it will give you much needed patient care experience that will strengthen your application to health profession programs. It can also help you determine if health care is the right fit for you.

To get an idea of how specific courses from your previous or current institution will transfer to UMR, please visit This resource is used by hundreds of schools in 17 different states across the U.S. 

For additional assistance, please contact the Office of Admissions at

Please be aware TRANSFER coursework is formally reviewed in the Office of Admissions ONLY after admission to UMR to determine:

  1. if the course transfers.
  2. if the course meets any of the University's liberal education requirements, or if the course has been evaluated previously for major requirements.
  3. if the course has a direct U of M course equivalent.

When you attend Orientation & Registration, you will receive a transfer credit report, an Academic Progress Audit System (APAS) report that shows the courses and total credits transferred, the courses that did not transfer, as well as how the transfer courses will fulfill any of the University's liberal education requirements.

Note to students planning to enter Medical School, PA School and Professional Schools:
The trend in the past has been that most Medical Schools, PA Schools and Professional Schools required science courses be taken at four-year institutions due to their accrediting bodies regulations. However, more and more schools are accepting coursework from regionally accredited two-year colleges. Students, based on economic situations or geography, may not be able to attend a four-year university when selecting where to begin higher education. Admissions committees are generally concerned more with how a student performs in the STEM coursework than where they take it. We advise students who begin at community colleges to demonstrate strength in upper-level sciences after transfer to a four-year university rather than to repeat lower level courses they have already completed satisfactorily. By advancing to upper-level sciences and performing well, they are better preparing themselves for MCAT, PCAT, DAT, etc. exams. However, please know that some colleges may still require that all Science courses be taken at a four-year institution (concept and survey courses do not fulfill entry requirements.) Please check with the colleges that you plan to apply to for their admission requirements.