The University and campus partners are working hard to implement recommended public health measures within the UMR community.
Student behavior will be one of the most important keys to UMR’s success in responding to the COVID-19 pandemic in a manner that limits transmission on campus. In that spirit, we are asking all students to:
- Avoid group gatherings where physical distancing cannot be maintained.
- Wear a mask.
- Practice good personal hygiene, including hand washing throughout the day.
- Adhere to UMR’s Maroon and Gold Sunrise plan.
- If you develop COVID-19 symptoms or are concerned that you may have been exposed, complete a COVID Care form and call the OMC triage line at 507-292-7266 (or call your personal health care provider). The COVID Care Team is ready to support you as soon as you complete the form.
Faculty, staff and students:
- While you are welcome to politely and kindly remind each other about #Protect the Nest guidelines, an administrator is available via text to support the health of our campus community.
- If you are in a shared campus space like One Discovery Square or USquare and you notice behaviors that could spread COVID-19 (no mask, no distance, etc.) Text 507-398-9775. The on campus administrator will arrive in person to address the situation.
If you believe you have been exposed to COVID-19 before your arrival, get tested. We know that individuals with no symptoms but who have COVID-19 can be a source of infection. Do your part in helping us to Protect The Nest.
Students, faculty and staff with underlying health conditions and those who are older will have options to mitigate their exposure to the virus as needed based on individual circumstances. Please work with your Student Success Coach to discuss the best options for your situation.
- Student Flowchart - z.umn.edu/StudentFlowchart
- Employee/Supervisor - z.umn.edu/ESFlowchart
- Supervisor - z.umn.edu/SupervisorFlowchart
Safety and Cleaning Practices
Enhanced cleaning and sanitizing practices throughout all University facilities have been implemented as recommended by public health guidelines such as:
- Hand sanitizer dispensers located in multiple locations throughout campus.
- Cleaning supplies available for individual use when desired.
- High touch surfaces cleaned twice daily.
- Additional custodial staff to perform routine cleaning throughout the day.
- Increased measures to provide fresh air and air filtration.
Face Covering Expectations
Gov. Walz signed an executive order requiring masks in all indoor and some outdoor spaces in Minnesota including when using public transportation. Effective July 1 and continuing until rescinded, all University of Minnesota students, faculty, staff and visitors (including contractors, service providers, vendors, and suppliers) are required to use a face covering at all times when in any enclosed or indoor space on University campuses and properties with the following exceptions:
- When eating or drinking; however, physical distancing must be practiced.
- In your assigned on-campus apartment or residence hall room.
- When you are alone in a room or where a posted and official University notice indicates face coverings are not needed.
- When you are alone in a motor vehicle.
- If you are unable to wear a face covering while exercising at the Rochester Family Y.
University of Minnesota Rochester will provide two cloth masks to all students, faculty and staff as they return to campus. The mask distribution plan will be announced shortly.
If you require face covering accommodations for health or disability reasons, UMR’s Disability Resource Center can assist.
Find the Face Covering Protocol here.
Students are expected to self-monitor for COVID-19 symptoms and Protect The Nest, including adhering to the requirement to wear a face covering and maintaining physical distance of 6 ft or greater from others.
If a student develops COVID symptoms or has exposure concerns they must complete a COVID Care form and call the OMC triage line at 507-292-7266 or their personal health care provider.
The COVID Care team will guide a COVID positive student through the COVID Care process, coordinate necessary support, and enact related campus measures as needed. The team is comprised of UMR’s Director of Health and Well-Being, Safety Officer, Disability Resource Coordinator, and Vice Chancellor for Student Success, Engagement & Equity. The COVID Care Team will work in concert with the Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) or Olmsted County Public Health Department.
Quarantine is used to keep someone who might have been exposed to COVID-19 away from others. Quarantine helps prevent spread of disease that can occur before a person knows they are sick or if they are infected with the virus without feeling symptoms.
Isolation is used to separate people infected with SARS-CoV-2, the virus that causes COVID-19, from people who are not infected.
Public Health Guidelines
The University’s plans are consistent with advice from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and Minnesota Department of Health (MDH) to protect the safety and health of our systemwide community. Consultation with national, state and local public health experts will continue as we make decisions and establish support for our campus community.
UMR’s COVID-19 Dashboard and the COVID-19 Daily and Weekly Report from Olmsted County provide regularly updated COVID-19 information. The City of Rochester also provides a COVID-19 Risk Dial.