Are you interested in exploring a specialized topic more deeply, or assisting a faculty member with their research? If so, take a closer look at the various Directed Study and Research courses available to you.
How do I sign up for a Directed Study or Research course?
Directed Study and Research courses require an agreement between the student and the faculty member, which spells out what the student will be expected to do to earn the course credits. Getting the course approved involves the following steps:
- Meeting with the faculty member you hope to work with early in the semester prior to the time when you want to take the course. If you want to do the directed study in the spring, meet with them early in the fall. Discuss what you would like to do in the course and ask if they're willing to direct it.
- You and the faculty member should complete the electronic form together. Both of you will be required to electronically sign the proposal before the deadline, which will route the form for review, approval, and registration.
- You will be notified by email when the course is approved and you are registered.
What are the deadlines?
The form must be electronically signed by both you and the faculty member by the deadlines below:
- For summer or fall experiences: May 1
- For spring experiences: December 15
If you miss the deadline, you will need to meet with the Administrative Director of Academic Programs to petition that you be allowed to register for the directed study/research.