The University of Minnesota Rochester is excited to offer an Early Assurance Respiratory Care Program for students interested in pursuing a future career as a respiratory therapist.
This option for incoming first year students provides entry into the Bachelor of Science in Health Professions Program (BSHP) respiratory care program track in the third year upon successful completion of prerequisites. The BSHP program is a collaboration between UMR and the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences (MCSHS) which results in a bachelor's degree from UMR and a certificate in respiratory care from the MCSHS.
Students will apply to the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) program and complete their first two years of courses (including the necessary prerequisite courses) in the BSHS program. Students will begin the BSHP Program their junior year.
Students selected for the Early Assurance Respiratory Care option will complete all four years of their collegiate experience at the University of Minnesota Rochester with their final two years of coursework mainly on the Mayo Clinic campus completing upper level coursework, labs, and clinical hours.
*A GPA of at least 2.75 must be maintained during the student's first two years at UMR before starting the respiratory care program.
- If admitted into the Early Assurance Respiratory Care program, students complete their first two years of courses at UMR in our Health Sciences program. During this time students will complete all BSHP prerequisite courses
- Students begin the Bachelor of Science in Health Professions degree program during their junior year, provided they achieve the 2.75 GPA cumulative GPA requirement during the first two years
- Students complete their third through fourth year in the BSHP program. A summer session is required between the two academic years. Students will complete the majority of their coursework at the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Clinical experience is completed at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester
- Students graduate with a Bachelor of Science degree from the University of Minnesota Rochester and a certificate in respiratory care through the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences
- Apply to the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) program at the University of Minnesota Rochester during your senior year of high school by December 1. Be sure to complete the additional respiratory therapy application requirements
- Students will first be reviewed for the BSHS program
- Following December 1, finalists will be invited to interview with the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences Respiratory Care Program in January.
Please check out our Interview Preparation Worksheet for more interview practice.