The University of Minnesota Rochester is excited to offer an Early Assurance Nursing program for students interested in obtaining a Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree.
This option guarantees first year students at UMR entry into the University of Minnesota-Twin Cities nursing program. Students apply to the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) program and complete their first year of courses (including BSN pre-requisite courses) in the BSHS program. Beginning their sophomore year students begin the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program on the Rochester campus.
Students selected for the Early Assurance Nursing option will complete all four years of their collegiate experience on the University of Minnesota Rochester campus and will complete their required nursing practicum experiences at the world-renowned Mayo Clinic in Rochester.
*A GPA of 3.0 must be maintained each semester of a student's first year at UMR.
- If admitted into the Early Assurance Nursing program, students complete their first year of courses (including BSN pre-requisite courses) at UMR in our Health Sciences program.
- Students begin the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) degree program on the Rochester campus during their sophomore year, provided they achieve a 3.0 GPA each semester as well as a 3.0 cumulative GPA and complete the course pre-requisites.
- Students complete their second through fourth year in the BSN program on the Rochester campus.
- Practicum experience is completed at the Mayo Clinic.
- Students graduate with a BSN degree from the University of Minnesota Twin Cities.
- This Rochester-located nursing program is competitive and capacity is limited.
Competitive applicants will have a strong cumulative GPA and STEM GPA. In addition, competitive applicants will have completed or have these courses in progress during their senior year of high school:
As part of UMR's Early Assurance Nursing application, there are supplemental questions for students to showcase their interest and career goals for the nursing profession.
- Apply to the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) program at the University of Minnesota Rochester during your senior year of high school by December 1.
- Students will first be reviewed for BSHS.
- Following December 1, finalists will be invited to interview with UMR Admissions for the University of Minnesota Nursing Program in January.
Please check out our Interview Preparation Worksheet for more interview practice.