- Application Fee
- Official College Transcript(s) of all colleges attended
- Application Essay (300 to 500 words)
- Application now open!
- BSHP Application Deadline for Summer/Fall 2023 is January 15, 2023.
- References (required numbers may vary by track)
Pre-requisite coursework can still be completed after the application deadline, but must be completed prior to the program start date.
- Grade of a C- or higher is required in all prerequisite coursework
- GPA Requirements:
- Cumulative 2.75
- Recommended minimum STEM GPA 2.5 for all attempts of prerequisite science courses within five years of application
- Average GPAs for Fall 2019 class: Cumulative 3.23 STEM 3.06 (please note that averages vary per track)
- Patient care experience (please note each track within the BSHP may have different requirements for patient care experience)
- Selected applicants will be invited to Rochester to interview at Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences (MCSHS) in February and March.
- MCSHS will ask applicants to disclose both felonies and misdemeanors and requires a background check of accepted students.
- Ability to think critically and independently
- Strong academic skills, particularly in science and math
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluently in English
- Strong communication skills not only with other health care professions but also with the patient and the patient's family
- Have explored and understood the profession by spending time with practitioners in that profession (shadowing or observation experience)
- Involvement in relevant extracurricular activities or community service, such as volunteering at a hospital, nursing home, hospice or other health care setting
- Ability to work as part of a team of professionals
- Desire to continue to learn as practice constantly changes in regards to treatments and medications
- Ability to provide compassionate care for patients across the lifespan and to their unique need
Appointment to Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences:
Students selected for admission to the BSHP will be notified of their clinical appointment to the MCSHS in March. Classes will begin in June of Radiography and mid-August for Echocardiography, Sonography and Respiratory Care.
Admission to UMR as well as appointment to MCSHS is contingent upon final completion of prerequisite courses. Students are required to submit final transcripts for courses that were in progress at the time of admission to UMR, Office of Admissions.
- Be fluent in written and spoken English. Students whose native language is not English must present a score of at least 572 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or 230 on the computer-based TOEFL, or 84 on Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) to be considered fluent. TOEFL test results must be submitted to the University of Minnesota Rochester Office of Admissions.
- Document current health status and immunizations according to MCSHS student policy.
- Be covered by a personal medical plan (UMR students have access to a personal medical plan).
- Pass Minnesota state mandatory background checks.