What you will need to submit:
- Application Fee
- Official College Transcript(s)
- Application Essay (300 to 500 words)
Admissions Criteria include:
- GPA Requirements:
- Cumulative 2.75
- Recommended minimum STEM GPA 2.5 for all attempts of prerequisite science courses within five years of application
- Average GPAs for Fall 2017 class: Cumulative 3.23 STEM 3.06 (please note that averages vary per track)
- Patient care experience (please note each track within the BSHP may have different requirements for patient care experience)
- Personal Interview conducted by each track's admissions committee
- Although UMR only asks applicants to disclose felonies, MCSHS will ask applicants to disclose both felonies and misdemeanors and requires a background check of accepted students.
Attributes You Should Possess - Most successful BSHP applicants possess a common set of attributes
- Ability to think critically and independently
- Strong academic skills, particularly in science and math
- Ability to read, write, and speak fluently in English
- Strong communication skills not only with other health care professions but also with the patient and the patient's family
- Have explored and understand the profession by spending time with practitioners in that profession (shadowing or observation experience)
- Involvement in relevant extracurricular activities or community service, such as volunteering at a hospital, nursing home, hospice, or other health care setting
- Ability to work as part of a team of professionals
- Desire to continue to learn as practice constantly changes in regards to treatments and medications
- Ability to provide compassionate care for patients across the lifespan and to their unique need
(or complete the BSHP Application for Current BSHS Students)
Deadlines for BSHP Fall 2019 is February 1, 2019.
Selected applicants will be invited to Rochester to interview at Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences (MCSHS) in March. Admissions decisions will be notified by UMR and MCSHS in April. Classes begin mid-August.
Appointment to Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences:
Students selected for admission to the Bachelor of Science in Health Professions will be notified of their clinical appointment to the Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences. Admission to UMR as well as appointment to Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences is contingent upon final completion of prerequisite courses. Students are required to submit final transcripts for courses that were in progress at the time of admission to the University of Minnesota Rochester,Office of Admissions.
Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences clinical appointment is offered with the requirement that all enrolled students:
- Be fluent in written and spoken English. Students whose native language is not English must present a score of at least 572 on the paper-based Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL), or 230 on the computer-based TOEFL, or 84 on Michigan English Language Assessment Battery (MELAB) to be considered fluent. TOEFL test results must be submitted to the University of Minnesota Rochester Office of Admissions.
- Document current health status and immunizations according to Mayo Clinic School of Health Sciences student policy
- Be covered by a personal medical plan. (University of Minnesota Rochester students have access to a personal medical plan).
- Pass Minnesota state mandatory background checks
U.S. Citizenship or Permanent Resident Status is required for admission to the Bachelor of Science in Health Professions Degree.
The University of Minnesota Rochester welcomes and encourages international applications for the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences undergraduate degree. To learn more about this degree, and how to apply as an international student, please visit international students.