Your passion can't wait.
University of Minnesota and Google Cloud have partnered to provide a groundbreaking new kind of college experience developed to build future health care leaders. This year-round, 2.5 year program is designed for inquisitive students who want to make a difference beyond providing patient care.
Get a headstart on your career.
Graduate in 2.5 years and enter the workforce sooner. Lessen overall college costs with this accelerated degree that provides significant scholarship dollars to each NXT GEN MED student.
The University has taken the traditional eight-semester bachelor's degree and applied it to a yearly calendar. NXT GEN MED students will take courses for seven consecutive semesters.
What can you expect from NXT GEN MED?
- Significant scholarship dollars for all NXT GEN MED students.
- A paid Mayo Clinic internship.
- A versatile University of Minnesota college degree in health sciences.
- A Student Success Coach.
- A Mayo Clinic mentor.
- Real world experience integrated into your education.
- Year-round courses positioning graduates to enter a career sooner.
- Research experiences to build on your curiosity and fuel your drive to discover solutions.
- A cutting edge technology platform that includes high-tech support to help you document your learning and see your progress toward your career, powered by Google Cloud’s unmatched technology and tools.
- Participation as a member of the NXT GEN MED Living Learning Community.
Already certain you’re NXT GEN MED material?
Learn more by requesting more information or scheduling your NXT GEN MED campus visit!
When completing your visit request indicate your interest in NXT GEN MED in the "Please let us know if you have additional requests" box.
Apply today and take the first step toward launching your career in solving the world’s most complex health challenges.
- Apply to the BSHS program using either the Common App or the Raptor App.
- Complete the NXT GEN MED supplemental application.
NXT GEN MED is a limited access, rolling admissions program for new freshmen.
NXT GEN MED FAQ’s
You can expect a career-launching job that gives you the opportunity to make a difference and make a living!
The NXT GEN MED program was developed in collaboration with Mayo Clinic to fill healthcare workforce needs, with paid internships embedded in the program to support your career exploration and launch.
The competencies that NXT GEN MED graduates develop as they earn their Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences degree will qualify them for a wide range of careers. Here’s a sampling of relevant job titles:
- Community Health Navigator
- Digital Health Project Manager
- Healthcare Financial Counselor
- Healthcare Patent Licensing Associate
- Health Innovation - Research Support Specialist
- Healthcare Research - Project Manager
- Healthcare Business Services Specialist
- Healthcare Technology Development
- Research Education Specialist
- Healthcare Supply Chain Specialist
- Home Medical Equipment - Patient Training & Support
- Healthcare Data Integrity Document Specialist
- Healthcare Patient Registration Specialist
- Healthcare Strategy - Project Management
- Patient Education Specialist
When employed graduates of NXT GEN MED are ready to advance in their careers, they will be prepared for advanced study in the following areas:
- Masters of Health Administration
- Masters of Health Innovation
- Masters of Public Health
- Masters of Business Administration
NXT GEN MED is a year-round program. The fast-track to college completion is made possible by using summer terms, not by having an overwhelming load of coursework. Students will take an average of 17 credits per semester (fall, spring, and summer) with breaks between each semester and a spring break as well. In 2.5 years (7 total terms including two summers) students will meet the requirements to earn a University of Minnesota bachelor’s degree.
NXT GEN MED students are guaranteed a paid Mayo Clinic internship during their college experience. Given the accelerated nature of this focused program, an additional job is not recommended. Remember - career launch and earnings start sooner with NXT GEN MED.
UMR has partnered with Google Cloud to create a ground-breaking engagement platform dedicated to supporting student success. The engagement platform helps keep you organized, provides easy access to support when you need it, and helps you document how you are progressing through college and developing the competencies that will launch your career.
Yes. If you start the program and then discover the year-round approach is not the best fit for you, all your completed courses will count toward the traditionally-paced (four-year) BSHS college degree at UMR - so you can move from the accelerated program to the regularly-paced program (no summer terms). If you decide to transfer to another university, that school will make decisions about accepting transfer credits. In general, the majority of schools accept most if not all of UMR’s courses.