UMR defines a transfer student as one who has graduated high school and has received college credit post high school graduation.
If a student has received college credit in high school (PSEO, CIS, etc) but does not have a high school diploma, they are considered a new first-year student.
Transferring to the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS)
Our innovative and challenging curriculum of the BSHS degree will prepare students for health science careers, graduate education and professional degrees. Due to our unique, integrated curriculum, planning ahead is important when considering transferring to UMR.
Transferring to the Bachelor of Science in Health Professions (BSHP)
Our BSHP program is a junior admitting transfer only program. Students can complete lower-division (first year - second year) courses at UMR or at another regionally accredited university or college. Students must complete prerequisite coursework (including all University of Minnesota liberal education and theme requirements) prior to admission.
Students interested in transferring to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Nursing program should contact the School of Nursing directly at 507-258-8045.
Transfer Admissions for BSHS
The BSHS provides rigorous coursework to prepare students for a variety of Career Pathways. It is important for transfer applicants to demonstrate preparation for such a curriculum by completing science and math coursework.
- Submit your application for admission using the UMR Raptor application.
- Schedule an appointment with the UMR Transfer Admissions Counselor.
- Have ALL official college and university transcripts sent directly to the University of Minnesota – Rochester.
- If you have completed fewer than 30 credits by the time of enrollment, have your official high school transcript sent to UMR.
Steps for Future Transfer Applicants from another University of Minnesota campus.
- Complete the Change of College Application.
- Send your completed form to the Office of Admissions. There is no application fee!
- Have ALL official college and university transcripts sent directly to UMR.
- You will not need to send any University of Minnesota transcripts, but you do need to request that official college transcripts from colleges outside of the U of M are sent directly to UMR. Make your request early, as it can take several days for a college to issue your transcript.
- College transcripts are considered official if sent to Rochester directly from the original institution. If the transcript was issued to the student, we must receive the transcript in the original envelope in which it was issued, with notation over the seal to determine if it was opened.
- If you have fewer than 30 transferable credits.
- Have official high school transcripts (and GED transcripts if applicable) sent directly from the school to UMR.
- 2.5 CUM GPA, competitive is 3.0 CUM GPA
- Good academic, social, and financial standing with all previously attended colleges
- College Algebra or higher
- General Biology
The Chemistry courses offered at UMR are sequenced in a unique way that is different from traditional campuses.
This is typical among many Chemistry courses but not a guarantee as to how chemistry courses will transfer to UMR. Please check with Tranferology to confirm how your chemistry courses will transfer to UMR.
- To determine how your previous college coursework transfers to UMR, contact a Transfer Admissions Counselor or view BSHS Transfer Guides and Transferology to look up how each of your college courses will transfer to UMR.
- Students transferring into a Spring semester will have an individual course plan for their first semester developed upon admission.
- Fall semester transfer students should review BSHS Transfer Guides to determine a plan for taking the necessary courses needed for the career Pathway you wish to pursue with the BSHS degree. The following Pathway clusters are reflected in to three transfer guides:
- Patient Care Pathway: Physician, Pharmacist, Dentist, Chiropractor, Optometrist, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Prosthetist/Orthotist, Physician Assistant, Surgical First Assistant, Athletic Trainer.
- Mayo Clinic Partnership Pathways: Medical Lab Sciences, Cytechnology, Nuclear Medical Technology.
- Other Health-Related Pathways: Mental Health Counselor, Health & Wellness Coach, Child-Life Specialist, Community Health, Public Policy, Health Care Management, Health Care Industry, Social Work, Public Health.
- If you still have questions about your credits and how they will transfer, email your unofficial academic transcript(s) of transfer credits. While UMR can provide an unofficial determination of transfer evaluation prior to admission, an official evaluation of transfer credits will only be completed after a student is officially admitted to the program.
- Spring 2023 priority deadline: December 15, 2022.
- Fall 2023 priority deadline: March 1, 2023.
- After March 1, students may continue to apply and be admitted on a space-available basis.
- Online Application
- The application fee is waived for spring transfer applicants
- All official college or university transcripts
- Official high school transcript
- ACT or SAT scores