UMR defines a transfer student as one who has graduated high school and has received college credit post high school graduation.
If a student has received college credit in high school (PSEO, CIS, etc) but does not have a high school diploma, they are considered a new first-year student.
Transferring to the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS)
Our innovative and challenging curriculum of the BSHS degree will prepare students for health science careers, graduate education and professional degrees. Due to our unique, integrated curriculum, planning ahead is important when considering transferring to UMR.
Transferring to the Bachelor of Science in Health Professions (BSHP)
Our BSHP program is a junior admitting transfer only program. Students can complete lower-division (first year - second year) courses at UMR or at another regionally accredited university or college. Students must complete prerequisite coursework (including all University of Minnesota liberal education and theme requirements) prior to admission.
Students interested in transferring to the University of Minnesota Twin Cities Nursing program should contact the School of Nursing directly at 507-258-8045.
Transfer Admissions for BSHS
The BSHS provides rigorous coursework to prepare students for a variety of Career Pathways. It is important for transfer applicants to demonstrate preparation for such a curriculum by completing science and math coursework.
2.5 CUM GPA, competitive is 3.0 CUM GPA
- College Algebra or higher
- General Biology
- College Writing
The Chemistry courses offered at UMR are sequenced in a unique way that is different from traditional campuses.
This is typical among many Chemistry courses but not a guarantee as to how chemistry courses will transfer to UMR. Please check with Tranferology to confirm how your chemistry courses will transfer to UMR.
Review BSHS Transfer Guides to determine a plan for taking the necessary courses needed for the career Pathway you wish to pursue with the BSHS degree. The following Pathway clusters are reflected in to three transfer guides:
Patient Care Pathway: Physician, Pharmacist, Dentist, Chiropractor, Optometrist, Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, Prosthetist/Orthotist, Physician Assistant, Surgical First Assistant, Athletic Trainer
Mayo Clinic Partnership Pathways: Medical Lab Sciences, Cytechnology, Nuclear Medical Technology
Other Health-Related Pathways: Mental Health Counselor, Health & Wellness Coach, Child-Life Specialist, Community Health, Public Policy, Health Care Management, Health Care Industry, Social Work, Public Health
- Learn more about UMR's Transfer Evaluation process.
- If you still have questions about your credits and how they will transfer, email your unofficial academic transcript(s) of transfer credits. While UMR can provide an unofficial determination of transfer evaluation prior to admission, an official evaluation of transfer credits will only be completed after a student is officially admitted to the program.
- A preliminary (unofficial) evaluation of previous coursework can take four weeks or longer. Please plan accordingly. You will be contacted by Admissions for advising once the preliminary evaluation is complete.
- Fall 2023 priority deadline: February 1, 2023.
- After February 1, students may continue to apply and be admitted on a space-available basis.
- Online Application
- $30.00 non-refundable application fee
- All official college or university transcripts
- Official high school transcript
- ACT or SAT scores