Welcome New Raptors
The UMR community is excited for New Raptors to begin their college career at the University of Minnesota Rochester!
New Raptor Advising & Registration
New Raptor Advising & Registration Day provides students and families with a combination of 1:1 meetings and group sessions to get oriented, kicking off the first of three parts to UMR’s New Raptor orientation program.
New students are required to sign up for one of the offered New Raptor Advising & Registration days (Dates will be available mid-Spring 2024).
Alongside students, families will learn about the following:
Advising and Registration
- Learn about the Bachelor of Science in Health Sciences (BSHS) degree curriculum and requirements.
- Meet with a Student Success Coach for advising and registration guidance and to review applicable college coursework, AP scores and determine a class schedule for the fall semester.
- Register for courses.
One Stop Services and Financial Aid
- One Stop Services provides information regarding registration, records, financial aid, billing, payment and veterans benefits. One Stop Counselors will be available to answer questions.
Student Resource Fair
- Discover and learn about student support resources, career resources, student activities and additional opportunities for UMR students.
Building Community and Prepare for the UMR Experience
- Learn how to prepare for the academic year.
- Meet, connect and network with staff, faculty and other new students and families.
- Prepare for housing.
Parent and Family Coaching
- Attend coaching sessions to support college student transition.
Raptor Ready Week
In the second important step to the UMR transition, following the new student move-in weekend, all first-year students are required to attend orientation week programs and activities known as Raptor Ready Week. This week features sessions on important campus resources provided by different student service departments, along with fun activities designed to start building community on campus.
UMR supports new students' transition using a community of wellness model to highlight the following key areas:
- Identity Development
- Academic Preparedness and Success
- Diversity and Inclusion
- Life at UMR/Residential Living
- Social Engagement/Relationships
- Physical Health
- Mental Health and Mindfulness
- Civic and Community Engagement
- Life After UMR (Career)
Raptor Welcome Week
The third step to the UMR transition takes place during the first week of classes and is known as Raptor Welcome Week. All new and returning students are welcome and encouraged to participate in activities, including an annual back-to-campus celebration and an Involvement Fair hosted by student clubs and organizations on-campus.
Welcome Week activities are announced in the weekly Raptor Report student newsletter. All new students are automatically subscribed to receive these emails before the first week of classes.