Welcome home to the University of Minnesota Rochester!
318 Commons is located in downtown Rochester, Minnesota; two blocks from the main campus, and in walking distance of many restaurants, attractions, the Rochester YMCA, and theMayo Civic Center.
Front Desk Services
The Front Desk serves as a place to ask questions, report incidents and emergencies, checkout games and other equipment and is responsible for the delivery of packages to our residents.
Students at UMR learn to cook for themselves, with their roommates and floor-mates, which teaches them vital skills for life. The 318 Commons building was purposefully designed to include a full kitchen for the use of residents; including a full-sized refrigerator with freezer, a double-sided sink with garbage disposal, an oven-stove combination, and dishwashing machine. UMR is within walking distance of the local food co-op and many downtown restaurants. Many students choose to ride the bus to local grocery stores, car-pool with their friends, or have their groceries delivered. For a map of local grocery stores click here.
All students, from new incoming residents to seniors, are welcome to stay at 318 Commons!
318 Commons features basement classrooms, laboratory spaces and a 2nd Floor Lounge which serves as a campus-wide event space
UMR housing provides a high-quality living experience with all the amenities of home and protected by a number of security measures designed to keep you comfortable and safe.
Your apartment amenities* include:
- Living Room Furniture: couch, chair, coffee table, end table
- Bedroom Furniture: extra-long twin bed, drawers designed to store underneath bed, desk, and desk chair
- Kitchen Stools
- Washer and Dryer (in apartment)
- Garbage Disposal
- Trash Chute (on floor)
*all provided furniture and amenities must remain in the spaces as provided and cannot be stored.
- Skyways with security cameras that connect you to classes and other downtown establishments
- Egress stairwells which block access to non-residents
- Fob access to residential floors through elevators
- RA and Student Security Monitors who patrol the halls and serve on-call on a nightly basis
- Access to Premier Security, a Rochester security company contracted by UMR
If you need something repaired in your room, first, contact a Resident Assistant or 318 Commons staff member as soon as possible. They are trained in minor repairs and may be able to fix your issue. Your RA can also directly refer your issue to building management and will continue to follow up until your repair is completed.